This post is also available in: Español
In order to promote the involvement of the student community in activities related to sustainable development, the Secretariat of Sustainability (SS) of the Autonomous University of Nuevo León, through the Directorate of Project Development, has promoted for seven consecutive years the carrying out the Photography Contest “In the Look of Sustainability”, this year with the theme “Actions for sustainability in times of pandemic”.
The reception of works began on March 1 and remained open until October 29 of this year.
At the end of the period of reception of works, the participation of 332 works of an equal number of students assigned to the following university dependencies was registered:
- High School No. 2
- High School No. 21
- High School No. 25
- Pablo Livas Industrial and Technical High School
- College of Scientific and Technological Studies of the State of Nuevo León (CECyTE) Plantel García 2
- Christopher Columbus High School
- Architecture Faculty
- Faculty of Visual Arts
- Faculty of communication sciences
- Faculty of Political Science and International Relations
- Faculty of Chemical Sciences
- Faculty of Philosophy and Letters
- Faculty of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
- School of Medicine
- School of Public Health and Nutrition
- Faculty of Social Work and Human Development
During the period from November 8 to 15, the members of the jury, made up of the M.C. Natalia Muñoz Rentería, professor and Coordinator of the Department of Photography of the Faculty of Architecture; the M.C. Juan Manuel Rivera Mendoza, Photography Coordinator of the Faculty of Communication Sciences and the M.A. Sergio Montes Ortega, Coordinator of the media center of the Faculty of Visual Arts; made the selection of 49 works considered as semifinalists.
On November 17 of this year, the deliberation session of the contest winners was held, through an online meeting held on the StreamYard digital platform, in which the members of the Jury accompanied by Dr. Carlos Ramírez Martínez, Director of Project Development of the SS, where they chose seventeen photographs as finalists, applying as selection criteria the theme and photographic technique used. The works chosen as finalists were announced on Monday, November 22, 2021, through the Sustainability website (sds.uanl.mx) and the UANL-Sustentable Facebook wall.
Finally, on Friday, November 26, 2021 at 1:00 p.m. the award ceremony was held, through the Microsoft Teams platform, in whose development Dr. Ramírez Martínez read the Minutes of Failure, prepared by the Jury, through which the name of the first, second and third place winners was announced, along with the recognitions and prizes that were awarded to them, as well as 14 works that were awarded Honorable Mention:
First prize, endowed with a digital SLR camera with a Canon EOS Rebel T100 lens and recognition, to Héctor Rubén Reyna Rivas from High School No. 25, for the photograph entitled “Something bad comes out of something good”.
Second prize, endowed with Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 with accessories and recognition kit, to Mariana Isabel Salcido López from the Faculty of Architecture, for the photograph entitled “Paracaidas.”
Third prize, endowed with DJI OSMO Mobile – Video stabilizer and recognition kit, to Violeta Guadalupe Hernández Moreno from the Faculty of Visual Arts, for the photograph entitled “Challenge”.
Honorable Mention was awarded to the following participants:
Abril Cristina Rivera Flores from the Faculty of Visual Arts, for the photograph titled “Harvesting at home”.
- Alfredo René de Stefano Muñoz from the Faculty of Medicine, for the photograph entitled “We will prevail”.
- Andrés Marcelo Camarena Martínez from the Faculty of Visual Arts, for the photograph entitled “End of the day”.
- Anthony Ediberto Machuca Escobedo from the School of Visual Arts, for the photograph entitled “The last breath.”
- Antonio de Jesús Martínez Balderas from the Faculty of Political Sciences and International Relations for the photograph entitled “Reuse in times of Covid-19”.
- Brayan González Vázquez from the Faculty of Architecture, for the photograph titled “Life in Crisis”.
- Carlos Alberto Garza Reyna from the Faculty of Visual Arts, for the photograph entitled “Life In Our Hands.”
- Frida Fiorel Rincón Puente from the Faculty of Architecture, for the photograph entitled “Responsible Pantry”.
- Joselin Michelle Zapata Chaires from the Faculty of Visual Arts, for the photograph entitled “Colecta agua”.
- Mario Rolando Alcocer Rangel from the Faculty of Architecture, for the photograph entitled “Untitled”.
- Pablo Elías Abiel Rodríguez Guerrero from the School of Visual Arts, for the photograph entitled “Recycling”.
- Paola Alejandra Velázquez Tolentino from the Faculty of Visual Arts, for the photograph entitled “From T-shirt to face mask.”
- Tania Gabriela Ipiña Rodríguez from the Cristóbal Colón High School, for the photograph entitled “Learning to count and to help”.
- Xiomara Merari López Solís from the Faculty of Architecture, for the photograph entitled “HUMANO 2. 0”.
The three winning photographs of the contest will become part of the permanent online exhibition “En la Mira de la Sustentabilidad” that is exhibited through the UANL Sustainability page (sds.uanl.mx) from day 1 of December 2021.
We thank all the participants for their enthusiastic participation in the 7th. Edition of the photography contest “En la Mira de la Sustentabilidad” and we invite you to continue promoting sustainability in university environments and society.