University campuses are physical spaces in which a large number of people converge daily from different points, generating specific mobility needs. One of them is the entry and parking of vehicles, individuals or public transport, in addition to the large number of pedestrians who move within the university spaces.

Currently, they enter the campus of the University City of the Autonomous University of Nuevo Leon (UANL), located in the municipality of San Nicolás de los Garza, within the Metropolitan Area of ​​Monterrey more than 80,000 people, of which 92% they are students and the remaining 8% corresponds to academics and administrative staff.

Of the total number of academics and administrative staff working in the University City, 2% travel using non-motorized means, 19% use public transport and 79% use their own automobile.

In the case of students, 2% transfer to University City by non-motorized means, 72% using public transport and 26% using their own automobile.

The segment of the university population that moves to Ciudad Universitaria through the collective transport system, uses the Metrorrey System (13%) and the urban bus lines (47%) and a small group uses rental cars ( 2%).

In this context, in July 2017, the CONECTA UANL project operation began, which aims to promote sustainable mobility in the Ciudad Universitaria campus to guarantee road safety, especially in the case of pedestrians and cyclists, to reduce the times of transfer and promoting the creation of public spaces that encourage coexistence among university students, the realization of cultural activities and recreation; all this, through the construction of more than 12,000 m2 of new universal pedestrian areas, the operation of a 3.2 km bike path, accompanied by a program of public bicycles, a multimodal integral mobility system, the arrangement of public transport concession and improvements in the management of the parking lots that the campus has and the planting of more than 1,100 trees in areas of common use.

CONECTA UANL is much more than just a project. It is an institutional support that proposes a change in UANL’s mobility policies, improving the quality of the university areas.

Furthermore, it is intended that this new sustainable mobility model will be replicated across the Monterrey metropolitan area in order to minimize the negative effects of car use on society, like traffic and health costs, accidents, and environmental damages. This will hopefully allow people to be more humane and have a better life quality as UANL affirms its commitment to social change.