Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon is one of the largest and most important higher education institutions in Mexico. Today, our university has 206,640 students and 14,500 employees, making a total of 221,140 people studying or working in the University. Therefore, our university needs to build and maintain enough facilities for its 6 campuses.
UANL’s infrastructure policy established that the university has to provide the university community (students, professors, and staff) with facilities and equipment of world-class quality standards, so that they can carry out their activities in the best possible conditions, despite the physical efforts and financial costs it involves.
Over the last few years, UANL has incorporated standards and better environmental practices in design, construction, equipping, new facility operations, and building improvements and expansions. This allows our university to issue, assisted by the Vice Presidency of Sustainability, technical guidelines with recommendations on the following aspects:
- Electricity generation by solar panels
- Air conditioners with inverter technology
- Thermal insulation of buildings
- Natural ventilation of buildings
- Natural lighting
- High-efficiency LED lighting in classrooms and offices
- Energy-saving LCD monitors
- Occupancy sensors in classrooms and offices
- Water-efficient devices in service areas
- Parks and gardens in all UANL campuses
- Green roofs
- Water retention areas
- Solar water heating systems
With their implementation, approximately 95 percent of the UANL schools and entities have attained high-efficiency air conditioning and lighting, which represents significant cost and energy savings. The university community has also contributed to these changes by participating in the energy saving awareness program.